Seasonal Flu Shots
Last updated September 2, 2020
Flu Shots Are Now Available at CityMD
To help protect you against the seasonal flu, we are now offering flu shots at all CityMD locations. This flu shot is preservative free, with no mercury, and is safe for use in everyone over the age of six months, including pregnant women.
Flu Shot Options
- Regular Dose - for 3 months old to 64 years old, Quadrivalent
- High Dose (Please call your location ahead of visit to confirm availability) - for 65 years old and above, Quadrivalent
If you are an insured patient, there is no co-payment for the flu vaccine.
If you are an uninsured patient, see cost below.
- Regular Dose: $30
- High Dose: $56
As always, we recommend to check with your insurance carrier if receiving a flu shot at CityMD is covered by your insurance plan.
When to get the flu shot?
Most people contract the influenza virus during ‘flu season,' which typically lasts from October through March, with most of cases peaking in January. The flu poses risks to people of various ages, ranging from the very young, the very old, to those with compromised immune systems. Here are some things to remember before and after you have your flu shot:
- It takes about 2 weeks for a person to build up immunity after receiving a flu shot (developing the antibodies to protect them if and when exposed). So, ideally, people should get the flu shot about 2 weeks before flu season begins.
- Flu shots are usually only effective for about 6 months, after that it starts to weaken and a person could potentially get the flu even after receiving a flu shot. (Unless they receive a booster shot, which is recommended for elderly patients and patients with comorbidities that put them at increased risk, but the general public doesn't typically get booster flu shots.)
- So, despite the early aggressive marketing by retail pharmacies (because they have the vaccine in stock) if it's a long flu season (September - March) and a person gets a flu shot in August, they would be protected until January.
Find a CityMD