Sensitive skin SOS: a comprehensive guide to eczema in children
You've come to the right place if your little one is dealing with eczema. In this comprehensive guide, we'll explore eczema in children and how to manage it. We’ll also offer soothing strategies for those sensitive patches.
You're not alone in this journey — countless children face eczema worldwide. Read on and empower yourself with the knowledge and tools to help your child thrive.
What causes eczema in children?
While we don't have a one-size-fits-all answer to what causes eczema in children, there are some common culprits.
Let's explore the reasons behind eczema flare-ups in our little ones. Here are the key factors.
- Genetics. Family history plays a part. If parents have eczema, allergies, or asthma, kids might be more susceptible too.
- Allergies. Triggers like pollen, pet dander, dust mites, or certain foods can set off eczema.
- Scratching cycle. Scratching damages the skin barrier, leading to more irritation and itching.
- Weather. Cold, dry weather or hot, sweaty days can worsen eczema.
- Soaps and sensitivities. Some products with harsh chemicals or fragrances can cause irritation.
In this section, we'll explore the common signs that may indicate your child is experiencing eczema. Here are some telltale signs of eczema in children.
- Relentless itching. Children with eczema may constantly scratch their skin, especially on the elbows, knees, and hands.
- Red, inflamed patches. Look for rough, red patches that may be swollen or oozing.
- Dry and sensitive skin. Eczema often causes extremely dry, flaky, and sensitive skin.
- Disturbed sleep. Itching and discomfort can lead to sleep disturbances and daytime irritability.
- Skin discoloration. Eczema may cause darkening or lightening of affected skin areas.
- Rubbing against surfaces. Children may rub against objects like furniture to ease itchiness.
- Weather triggers. Cold and dry weather can worsen eczema symptoms.
Remember, while these signs can hint at eczema, it's essential to consult a health care professional at your local CityMD for a proper diagnosis. Identifying eczema early on can make a world of difference in managing and soothing your child's sensitive skin.
When treating eczema in children, finding the right balance is essential. We've compiled a list of effective approaches to help manage this common skin condition.
- Topical steroids. These creams or ointments help reduce inflammation and relieve itching. It's crucial to use them as prescribed by your child's doctor, as excessive or prolonged use can lead to side effects.
- Emollients and moisturizers. Regularly apply emollients or moisturizers to lock in moisture and prevent dryness. Choose fragrance-free and hypoallergenic products, as these are less likely to irritate the skin.
- Topical calcineurin inhibitors or immunosuppressants. For sensitive areas like the face and neck, where steroids may not be suitable for long-term use, topical calcineurin inhibitors can be an alternative. They help reduce inflammation and itching.
- Antihistamines. In some cases, antihistamines may be prescribed to help alleviate itching and improve sleep quality. Be sure to consult your child's doctor before using any over-the-counter antihistamine.
- Wet dressings. Wet dressings can be beneficial for severe eczema flare-ups. Applying a damp, medicated dressing on the affected areas helps soothe the skin and enhance the absorption of topical medications.
- Avoiding triggers. Identify and avoid triggers that worsen your child's eczema. Common triggers include certain fabrics, harsh soaps, allergens, and weather changes.
- Bathing techniques. Encourage short, lukewarm baths for your child, using mild, non-soap cleansers. After bathing, pat the skin dry gently and apply moisturizer immediately to seal in moisture.
- Prescription medications. Your child's doctor may prescribe oral medications, such as oral corticosteroids or immunosuppressants, to control inflammation.
At CityMD, we understand the challenges eczema can pose for children and their families. Our dedicated team of health care professionals is here to offer compassionate care and effective treatment options tailored to your child's unique needs.
Let us be your trusted partner in treating eczema in children and providing the best possible care for your child's sensitive skin. Together, we can help your little one enjoy a happy, healthy, and itch-free childhood.
We’re ready to care for you.
Visit any CityMD urgent care location in your community today for an evaluation with one of our expert providers.