Believe it or not, there is a lot more that goes into sleep than just how many hours you get. By following the tips below you can instill practices and habits that will help you to have a quality nighttime sleep and full daytime alertness.
1. Keep a consistent sleep schedule with at least 7 hours of sleep. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
2. Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy and if you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
3. Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
4. Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime and limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
5. Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
6. Avoid consuming caffeine or alcohol before bedtime.
Keep in mind that what may seem as a small change in your habits or environment can make a big difference when it comes to your quality of sleep. By incorporating these tips into your daily routine you will be on your way to a better night’s sleep in no time.
Source: SleepEducation.org (American Academy of Sleep Medicine)